Tag Archives: babesia

Made of Steel

One may not think heavy metal is steel, but after receiving recent test results for heavy metal poisoning, my daughter, Ella said “Mom, you really are made of steel!”

In October of last year, I started a new treatment for Babesia; however, it was making me feel worse, not better, so my doctor suspected something else was going on. Blood tests came back in February that I have heavy metal poisoning. My doctor was adamant that I test for heavy metals as his research and experience lead him to believe heavy metals block many treatments especially when dealing with Lymes and many co-infections. Hence why I was feeling worse, not better.

He was absolutely correct! And who would have guessed….I don’t have just one heavy metal in my system, but I have SIX! Antimony, arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury and strontium all came back at higher levels. I would like to think this makes me Superwoman especially because my doctor indicated a normal person wouldn’t have any of these show up, so to have SIX, well, that just goes to show how unique I am. (Insert smiley face) Well, maybe I could be Superwoman, but what we do suspect is that this is likely caused from having Lymes as my body doesn’t detox, so metals have likely been accumulating for years.

I started chelation therapy about a month ago. (Yes you can google it). Basically this is medication to pull the metals from my bones. The metal will then get deposited into my blood, then into my stomach so technically its a three part process. If the metals stay to long in the blood or stomach, this can cause severe problems (including death in rare cases).

We have been experimenting with the dosages for the medication as well as the detox process as this medication has been kicking my butt! Whew…can you imagine what it feels like to have heavy metals pulled from your bones? Yikes!

What I am grateful for as I embark on this new treatment is that I am learning a few things along the way….

  1. This too shall pass. (Some days quicker than others)
  2. God doesn’t give me any more than I can handle. (Trust me I’ve asked)
  3. I really am made of steel. (Just ask Ella!)

Pull Back the Covers

Where has the time gone?  I cannot believe its been almost 10 months since I’ve posted here.  I think I have finally pulled my head out from under the covers.  So much has happened…where do I begin?

First, in March of 2020 the first negative Lyme’s test came into my life.  What does that mean?  Well, that likely 90% of the Lymes was gone!  Cheers to that!  We were hoping my body would clean up the remaining 10%.  If you caught that, I said “hoping”.  Back to that in a minute.  The additional negative test was that the anaplasmosis was gone too.  Prayers can be answered.

Of course COVID hit in March, and I’m pretty sure I just pulled the covers over my head because I feel like I haven’t been living my best life since then!  (Well…that’s my excuse….I’m sure I could come up with a better one if I had more time.)

With both the Lyme’s and the anaplasmosis gone, one would think I would be jumping for joy and feeling better.  However, I was feeling worse than when I started. How could that be?

Well, the additional lab tests showed my immune system was still going crazy in overdrive, that I had a parasite in my system, my pituitary gland was out of sync and two other blood tests to show off the charts inflammation in my body.  My doctor said he knew I wasn’t lying when I said I didn’t feel good because the test results prove it!  Again, the same old question of “Now what?”

Back to the 10% Lymes remaining in my system. If my body isn’t able to clear out the last bit of Lymes, I could still have symptoms and with my body dealing with high inflammation, my immune system is going to work overtime all the time.  Hence, why I’m not feeling well.  In addition, my doctor said this could point to another tick borne illness called Babesia.  This is a parasite that affects the red blood cells.  Good news…I’ve been getting treated for Babesia…and I’m FEELING BETTER!  I still need to work through the inflammation and hormone issues, but a little relief is like a little bit of heaven. Amen!

What have I learned the last 10 months? Lyme’s has substantially changed my life. COVID has substantially changed everyone’s lives.  It’s how we react that will determine the outcome!  That’s why I decided to pull back the covers and take a peak into what’s ahead.  Its scary but I’m doing it with my head high and my heart filled with gratitude!  We can do this together! I promise.